Monday, March 9, 2009

From Friday to New Orleans and Back


Last week was a long one so I had to make Friday night a good one. I left work, got home to eat a simple dinner of 16 bean soup and cheese toast, changed clothes, poured myself a walkin' cup of Pig's Nose Scotch and walked out the door. Within a few minutes I was sitting on Nadene and Stephen's front porch... they weren't home yet. When they arrived I welcomed them home with a tip of my cup and a hug, as if they were coming home for the first time in years or maybe just because we are all good friends who like to hug upon greeting. I like that. Soon Sarah arrived and we loaded up in Nadene's car. We were headed to New Orleans to see Nadene's boyfriend, Redmouth, play at a bar called Outer Banks. The car begin to role and next thing I knew a was waking up in Bay St. Louis. We were at a gas station. I knew for me to make it through the night I had to do something. I walked in and walked out... in hand was:
-1 Sparks in brown bag
-1 pack of Pop Rocks
-1 role of Rolo's
-1 bag of Zapp's Cajun Potato Chips
-1 pack Doublemint gum

In Fifteen minutes I was back in top form. We picked up Jody and Ben along the way. We found the bar; it was in a completely boarded up section of mid-city. It felt like we were the only ones alive. There was incredible density of beautiful old homes, carriage houses and shops all abandoned... quite was the night. Our feet shuffled toward the door. Inside, there was maybe 12-15 people, who I guess were alive just as we were. They were listening to a punk band that was finishing their set. Soon Redmouth played; solo. He sat atop a small wooden platform with a carefully positioned microphone beneath it. This is so he can tap his heels and toes while he played guitar and sings the blues. It was all very honest.

After his set we loaded up in hopes of finding food. Nothing was open but a convenience store. Convenient it was; they had corn dogs and 32oz High Life in a can. I soon fell back asleep and woke up again in Bay St. Louis in front of Ben's house. It was 4:00am. At that point everyone was thinking we'd just stay the night in The Bay. Then we all realized that we'd rather wake up in our own beds. Due to my power nap, I was able to drive us the rest of the way home. I pulled into my drive, the birds were rustling in the bushes and I was rustling into my house.