Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ahoj From the Czech Republic




As many of you know my brother-in-law, David, is from the Czech Republic. After a few years of him asking me to come visit I finally got to. Last week David, my sister, their two kids and myself flew out of Atlanta to Prague, where we then boarded a train that took us to Opava, CZ where David's dad then picked us up to drive to his home in Uhlirov, a village of about 350 people that sits on the far east side of CZ, not too far from Poland. The country side here is beautiful; fields of barley, wheat and poppies. I got to meet many of David's friends and family for the first time. They are a warm group of people. Even though I don't speak Czech and they don't speak English it was okay. David was a great translator. After spending five days in Uhlirov, riding with David on the 1962 Jawa motorcycle around fields, through forest and to other villages, fishing (which caused the bloody and now partially black eye) and drinking lots because that is apparently what Czech people do, I am now in Prague for a few days before I head home. So far the trip has been blessed with beautiful weather and great times.