Monday, January 24, 2011

Pecan Butter


I've been a bit lazy in getting pecans cracked this year and made into something. Last year we had made lots of pecan/basil pesto as well as pecan brown ale before the new year. I finally got around to cracking them recently. This year I wanted to try something that caters a little more to my typical diet... pecan butter. I eat lots of peanut butter, therefore spending a small fortune. Now I can make my own out of pecans. The trick is to roast them for a bit, it draws the oils out so it becomes much more buttery once blended. When blended fresh they turn more into a grainy dust and I had to add some oil. Due to pecans being a little on the bitter side I decided that adding a pinch of salt and little honey to each batch makes it perfect. I've got a lot more cracking to do to keep up with the amount I eat.

On crepes, the pecan butter is fantastic with the ginger-pear preserves (the pears that grow in Biloxi are really crispy and tart) we made back in the fall.